[VAC] Re: 6 volt vs 12 volt???

Frank,
 I use a Hoppy lighting isolator in my truck to power the trailer's
lights. It has a "power" lead that picks up +12VDC from the battery, and
3 leads that are connected to the truck's lights (tail, LT, RT). The
"trigger" leads only cause the isolator to apply power to the output
leads, they don't supply much of any current themselves. I'd personally
bet that 6 volts would be enough to trigger the device.

The biggest problem is if the 6-volt system is positive ground, as many
were. That probably won't work with the Hoppy.

It could be done with relays; one VAC'er made up his own system that was
in the trailer, using 3 of them. He used the trailer battery to power
the trailer's lights, but of course it WAS being charged from his tow
vehicle. A big advantage was that it eliminated voltage drop from the
tow vehicle to the trailer, so his lights were noticably brighter.
Stuart could use relays with 6 volt coils (if he can find them) and the
polarity problem is solved, but he still would have to charge the
trailer's battery. Of course, if night-time towing is limited and he has
a good on-board charger, the battery might well hold up w/o constant
charging while on the road.

And then, he has the problem of finding a suitable brake controller and
6 volt magnets.....

                                           <<Jim>>