[VAC] Comment on Towing (sorry.. it's late after a full day)

This could only be called advice for very new towers.. The people that have
been towing all their lives are much less likely to over extend their
capabilities...

Tow Vehicle....
Don't forget that the whole package is important... springs, brakes,
engine, transmission etc.. Don't select something that has to work
perfectly to get the job done... There will be times that the only thing
between you and disaster is the margin between what's required and what you
have...When you are selecting the type of transmission, select what you
have been using for the bulk of your driving... If you use manual trans a
lot, then you probably won't screw up when the chips are down...If
everything you have driven since the army was auto, buy auto...all you will
remember when you get in trouble, is put you foot on the brake...
Hitch...
Get a better hitch that most people think you need... If you have a large
trailer use a Pull Right or the Hensley ... Smaller trailers are fine with
Reese Dual Cam type of hitch...There are some nasty pictures of Airstreams
upside down due to a combination of mistakes...If you kill yourself using
marginal equipment, I will feel anguish, but if you kill me or someone else
in my rig, I will be really pissed...
Speed..
You will get a few one finger salutes if you stay at 55 or 60, but not
many... especially if you keep to the right and make an effort to keep it
steady...If you decide to run at 70, just because every one else is going
that fast, you better have the very best equipment...If you get double
tapped at 70, by a pair of bread trucks trying to get home, you will find
out what sway means...

General..
Picking something that needs perfect conditions to be functional is a big
mistake... If you have no chance to stop your setup on a damp road, with
failed trailer brakes, you might want to take another look at your
choices...ie a light car pulling a 25+ foot trailer loaded with water,
clothes and other necessities...You haven't really lived until you slide
out into your first intersection....and that might be the end of it....

Sorry to sound so rancid, but I am getting ready to head out for a couple
of months and am worrying about who will be out there with me... The big
boys don't scare me much... it's the ones that want to pull it with a
bicycle just because that's what they usually ride and they think it looks
cool....

My apologies for venting...  Jim

Jim Clark

jec1938@corecomm.net