[VAC] Truck Story

After reading a number of threads about appropriate tow vehicles,
transmissions and fuel mileage, I thought I would share my own truck
story.  I want to say at the start that I am not particularly
experienced with tow vehicles, but my story may be helpful to others who
are new to RVing.   I began thinking about buying an Airstream about 5
years ago and knew that I would need something bigger than my Honda to
pull it.  I had no trailer towing experience and hadn't owned a truck in
more than 20 years, so I started surfing truck web sites and trailer
message boards for information.

After doing way too much research, I bought a Ford F150 4X4 super cab,
with a 3.55 LSD, an automatic transmission, tow package and 5.4L V8.
Pickup truck because I have many non-towing uses for it.  Ford
because...well, let's just say that I liked the way it looks.    F150
because I want something with a civilized ride when I'm not towing.  4X4
because I live in the snow belt and figured that the extra traction
would probably be helpful in some towing situations.  Super cab because
I wanted a longer wheelbase for safer towing and I need a place for my
dogs to ride.  Gas engine because the initial cost was less than the
diesel.  5.4L, 3.55 rear and autotrans because of the 8000 lb tow
rating.   Many people recommend towing a trailer weighing no more than
75% of the manufacturer's maximum recommended tow rating.  For my truck,
that would be 6,000 lb, which fits will with the 5,700 lb GVWR of my
Tradewind.

I bought the truck new in March 2001 and now have about 10,000 miles on
it, 2,500 towing the Tradewind.   So far, I'm pretty happy with my
choice.  I've had no problems in those first 10K mi.  I get an average
of 15.1 MPG unloaded and 10.2 MPG pulling the Airstream.  I looked in my
owners manual for information about towing in overdrive, but it says
nothing on the subject.  After reading some of the VAC threads, I
decided to be kind to my transmission by towing with overdrive locked
out and manually downshifting on steep hills.   I limit my speed to 65
mph while towing and have had no trouble maintaining that speed on the
interstates.  I have not yet tested the rig in the Rockies, but I was
able to maintain an easy 45-50 going up the hills on the way to the Top
of Georgia rally, with the exception of the 20 MPH speed limit
switchbacks on route 17.

Moving just a tad off-topic, a word about hitch systems.  After reading
lots of information and talking to a number of experienced RVer's, I
chose a Reese equalizing hitch with sway bars.  The Reese has done a
super job with my F150 and 25' Tradewind combination.  I have
experienced virtually zero sway while being passed by big rigs on the
Interstate.  My wife Gwen is completely comfortable towing the trailer
under all circumstances that we have encountered so far.  I have no
doubt that the Hensley Arrow hitch is a great piece of equipment, but
the Reese is completely satisfactory for my 25' trailer and it cost
about $1,500 less.

Choosing the right tow vehicle is a complicated decision that is
influenced to a great degree by individual circumstances.   I would echo
the basic suggestions of the more experienced folks on the VAC list.
Make sure that your vehicle has the longest wheelbase you can live with
and  a tow rating that's conservative for the trailer you'll be
pulling.  Towing a trailer is a great joy that can turn to absolute
terror in an instant.  Make sure that your vehicle is adequate to handle
your trailer when that inevitable emergency stares you in the face.

Lincoln Soule
1977 Tradewind