[VAC] Re: marTire (was) What are they?

I had the SmarTire setup installed on my Sovereign after a bad blowout and
wheel well beating.  I've had it for about a year now, and will share some
observations about it.

1.  It's not really accurate in reading the internal pressures, but if you
look at the readings as relative differences, it's fine.  You still need to
use an accurate gauge when checking your tires.

2.  It will only read your tire pressures while the trailer is moving,
usually at least 8-10 mph.  Check your tires with a gauge each morning, to
be sure.

3.  The system will let you know if there is a change in internal pressure
below the preset level.  This is not an immediate indication, since some
polling has to take place. You will hear a blowout/wheel well thrashing
before the alarm goes off, since it's not a blowout type system.

4.  As pressure changes with temperature, I always get low pressure alarms
early in the a.m., when I first start driving.  This is because the air is
cooler, and the pressure lower, than it was when I filled the tires.  A few
minutes of driving and the temperature/pressure comes up and the alarms go
off.  Until then, there is a lot of button pressing to shut the noise off.

The system does what I want it to do, so I'm satisfied.  The two problems
I've had since installation were with the truck tires (not monitored).  I'd
like to see a version that would monitor at least 8 tires, so I could check
them all.

Roger

Roger Hightower
WBCCI 4165, VAC, TCT