[VAC] Re: catalytic heaters

Joy,
 A catalytic heater IS "100% efficient" because there's no chimney. Just
like an electric heater is always 100% efficient for the same reason. I
don't disagree on the possibility of impurities causing headaches, but
most of the folks who have and use these heaters report no such
problems. I can't imagine the catalytic heaters being sold if there was
any significant danger.

We bought a kit from RV Solar Electric while at the Escapade and
installed it when it arrived. Our trailer is kinda small, so the 6000
BTU model is a bit in the way when in use and must be stored someplace
when it's not. However, it seems to work well, and we did run it
overnight while parked in a friend's driveway. Set on 3000 BTU output,
it "almost" did the job on a 28 degree night, it should have been kicked
up to "medium" or 4200 BTUs. Of course, we had a window and one of the
top vents cracked for ventilation, as the instructions specify. It
should be a no-brainer that some air exchange is absolutely necessary,
as the heater DOES burn oxygen. The openings don't have to be so large
as to defeat the heater, however.

If you're doing extensive boondocking w/o power, you have few
alternatives if you're to keep warm.

BTW: I can relate to the AAADD, I've had it for years. :-)

                                           <<Jim>>