[VAC] Installing a Transmission Temp Gauge

I installed a transmission temp gauge on my 1997 Ford F250 today. It went
rather smoothly, so I thought I would document the expirence so that others
might know.

I purchased a B&M Transmission Temperature Gauge (Part #80212) from Summit
Racing (http://store.summitracing.com). I used their web site to order, and
it arrived via FedX Home the next day. They also included some kewl "Summit
Racing" decals for my truck :-)

The kit consists of a round lighted temperature gauge, a case for the
gauge, T-Fittings (both 3/" inch and 5/16"), sender unit, wire, eye and
spade terminals, nuts, washers and instructions.

The T-Fittings are standard brass compression fittings. You cut the return
line from the transmission fluid cooler, and insert the fitting in-line to
it. The sender unit goes into the "leg" of the "T". While the instructions
say you CAN use a hack saw to cut the line, I STRONGLY suggest you purchase
a "mini" pipe cutter. They carry them at hardware stores, in the plumbing
section. They dont cost very much, and are handy in tight spaces, like by a
transmission :-) It you DO use a hacksaw, you will have a heck of a time
getting the compression fitting on.

The instructions tell how to identify which line to cut for most GM and
Ford transmissions.

Be sure to make sure the section of pipe you install the fitting in is
grounded, and not in between rubber hoses. Use a meter and check. If it
isnt grounded, you will need to run a wire from the fitting to a frame bolt.

While the instructions say to use thread sealer on the fitting, I found
that I had to use Teflon tape on the one the sender unit was screwed into,
as transmission fluid continued to seep out no matter how tight I got it.
Once I took it apart and used the Teflon tape, I was fine.

Once the fitting is in place, you attach a wire to the sender unit and
route it into the truck cab. In my '97 F250, there is a rubber plug in the
firewall right next to the spot the accelerator cable comes through. I just
removed the plug, and the inside insulation mat plug behind it, ran the
wire through, and re-inserted the plugs.

The meter requires 12V power, a ground, and a connection to your truck's
instrument panel light circuit. I managed to get all three from the brake
controller harness. Im not sure if all trucks have instrument panel light
circuits there, but it certainly was handy! The only problem with this
setup is that the 12V is always on. I plan to either find an accessory
circuit wire, or install a switch to the side of the gauge housing. Altho I
doubt that the gauge will wear my battery down very quickly...

The only real hassle was installing the gauge housing. I chose to install
it next to the brake controller, which is by my right leg. Drilling holes
and getting screws in there would have been extremely awkward, so I am
using double sticky foam tape. We shall see how long that lasts.....

If you have room, you can also install the gauge in your dashboard. It
requires a 2 1/16" hole.

If anyone has any questions, or suggestions on improving this process, feel
free to drop me a line.

Dave