[VAC] Vintage tow vehicle (1972); update

You are correct; a typo on my part.  The metal tag on the door says:

Recommended Maximum Gross Vehicle Weight 08100

Another tag (not metal) on the door jam says (among other things):

GVWR= 9100
GAWR Front =3150 Rear=5300

But, I suspect that your easement of 6000 pounds of towing weight still
holds true?

>I was fairly certain that a maximum rated 3/4 ton Ford with 390 engine would
>have had the C-6, the most rugged transmission offered at the time, but that
>is nothing to worry about either.  The C-4 was also tough, just not as tough
>as the C-6.  With clean fluid and filter towing a medium-sized Airstream it
>should provide good service for a long time if it is in good shape when you
>begin towing.

OK

> > The tires on it are tall. They are LT 235/85R 16 M/S

>Yes.  That tire is the modern radial equivalent of the original equipment
>7.50 x 16 tires and probably keeps your speedometer reading in the ballpark.
>The tires installed on your truck are far more efficient, long wearing,
>better handling, etc. than the original and are the correct choice for your
>application as long as they are 8PR (eight ply rated) or even better, 10PR
>(ten ply rated) and my guess is they are. The weight capacity of each tire
>will be molded into the side wall.  In 10 PR they are rated at 3000 #.

Hummm.  Maybe I need new tires.  The tires are Kirkland (Costco) truck
tires.  They say:

Load Range E

Max load Single 3042 lbs @ 60 psi cold
Max load Duel 2778 lbs @ 60 psi cold