[VAC] Vintage tow vehicle (1972); update

>The GVWR figure of 8100 pounds you quoted is for the truck plus carried
>weight versus gross combined weight rating which includes the total weight
>of the puller as well as the total weight of the trailer.  I don't know if
>the domestic light truck manufacturers provided GCWR figures in that era.
>My best guess for GCWR would be around 10,000 to 12,000 pounds for adequate
>performance.

Searching the door plates, I have just found another stamp.  It says:

GAWR Front= 31500
GAWR Rear= 5300

Does this change anything?

  I think an F250 Camper Special with 390 engine was
>likely to be equipped with the old C-6 automatic transmission which was a
>tough transmission.

I just picked up a original shop manual so I could figure out the ID
codes.  If I am reading it correctly, I have a C-4 Automatic transmission.

>There are two more bits of information that would be helpful in offering an
>opinion as to how much trailer you can tow.  What is the rear axle or
>differential ratio?  You should be able to find a code on a tag on the
>driver's door frame.  The letter-number code can probably be deciphered by a
>Ford dealer and it is probably still the same code in use in '90s era Ford
>trucks.  My guess is it is a 3.73:1 but it could be a 4.11:1.  Either will
>be good for towing but not for fuel mileage.

I am new to this, but it looks like it is 3.54.1  Could this be correct?

>The other relevant factor is tire size or, more precisely, diameter.  Those
>trucks were originally equipped with the old style bias ply 7.50x16 8 or 10
>ply tires.  They were a pretty tall tire which reduces the effective final
>drive ratio.

The tires on it are tall. They are LT 235/85R 16 M/S

Would this be a good size for the truck if I were towing a trailer?

>Having said all of that, if you want to maintain adequate performance with a
>safety and performance margin as you said (and I agree), my recommendation
>would be to limit your gross trailer weight (including propane, water,
>clothing, food, personal items) to around 6000 pounds.

OK.  Assuming the above new information I have posted does not change that
number, I'll use it.

>Airstreams of similar lengths became heavier in each decade.    If you are
>seeking a trailer of the same era as your puller, i.e. a '71 to '72 for
>example, a 27' Overlander (or smaller) would probably make an excellent
>candidate.

If I wanted to restore (not go completely nuts, but bring a Airstream back
to it's original look) are 1970's models easier to find equipment for, than
say, the 1960's?

OK.  I think I got it:

1)  About 6,000 pounds or lighter
2)  A 27 foot Overlander or smaller