[VAC] Re: A/C Questions

Tim - I went the Carrier V route - Several reasons

1. Money - Penguin with pan and redoing the electric circuits to handle 30
Amps was quoted at $1150.00 by an A/S dealer.  My 64 Tradewind didn't have
an extra circuit available and didn't have an original A/C so the roof has
to be cut 121" back of the front seam to install the A/C in a 14X14 square
hole.  As I understand it the original A/S holes are rounded corners so
they have to be modified.  And my breaker panel neede to be replaced and up
graded to modern circuit breakers.

2. My research on the new Carrier V model had a few features besides price
that were note worthy.

A. Much of the condensation is thrown back on to the coils thereby
evaporating some or most of the condensation so less will run done the
side.  So far I have had very little run off.  It's on the street side and
barely noticeable, but it's there.

B. The unit has easily removable, washable filters. A big plus to me.

C. It has a "water fall" feature that allows you to shut off the front and
back vents and open a circular vent in the bottom which diverts all the
cool air or heat straight down.  This has been great on cool mornings to
have all the heat directed down instead to heating the ceiling first.

D. It came with the heat strip included.

3. My local A/S dealer did a nice job in one day.  Price including A/C,
heat strip, install AND a new panel with two 30 Amp circuit breakers (I now
have one spare circuit) including tax was $800.00.

I've used it now for three months and have no complaints about the unit,
it's efficiency or the water dripping down the side (don't notice it).

I did have a small problem when pulling over very rough roads a screw in
the cover vibrated out. So I put a little silicon on the tip before putting
it back.

  This is just my experience as I'm no expert.

However after watching them install, I could have done the A/C given the
proper tools but the new 30 Amp circuit and box was in to cramped a s[pace
for me to tackle.  All in all paying for the install was worth it and I can

Blair
64 Tradewind