[VAC] Re: Stromberg Brakes

         Reply to:   RE: [VAC] Stromberg Brakes
John, Can save you a lot of trouble here.  You can't use the Stromberg's
anymore unless you put an elaborate slave piston setup on the tow
vehicle.  Even then, they don't make the male (eared) connectors
anymore.

Standard practice is to convert the hydraulic actuated brake backing
plate plates to electric, and leave the Stromberg setup in place on the
tongue for a cool conversation piece (I remember when....)

I have to do it on the '57 FC we just got - and have found a couple of
local sources for the loaded backing plates that will fit the hubs.  I
hope someone can chime in with a possible online reference or source.

Speaking of hydraulic brakes (I've told this story before, so bear with
me), about 10 years ago I was driving our '62 Chevy Pickup equipped to
haul hydraulic brake equipped trailers (one was a great 1958 19' Dalton
camp trailer).  The male connector hopped off the bracket on the bumper
and started dragging on the pavement.  This was in the mountains, so
imagine my surprise when I pushed the brake pedal to the floor - and
nothing happened.  Thanks God for emergency brakes.  This is pretty much
the reason they aren't used anymore.

RJ
'57 Flying Cloud
'65 Caravel