[VAC] Re: Use Of Hydraulic-Electric Brake Controller in a Late Model Dodge Ram

Your beloved Kelsey Hayes hydraulic brake controller probably uses
enough oil that it will upset the balance between the two braking
systems and cause a check brake light every time you stop. That's the
main reason vehicle makers don't want you to use it. There is a simple
(though not cheap solution) and that is to use two such brake
controllers, one on each brake system of the dual brake systems in the
tow vehicle and use one to run the trailer brakes and the other just to
balance the hydraulic volume.

For towing you didn't want the close ratio transmission, you wanted the
wide ration transmission so you have a real granny gear for precision
parking and for getting moving up steep hills. I don't know of a wide
ratio transmission of anything these days though.

I last saw trailer brake controller T's stocked in RV stores, not auto
parts stores. You might have better luck in parts stores for big trucks.

Gerald J.