[VAC] Re: Use Of Hydraulic-Electric Brake Controller in a Late Model Dodge Ram

Gerald,

Thanks for your input.

The K-H controller uses less than 0.02 cubic centimeters of fluid and the
literature published several years ago states that it is compatible with all
current automobile ABS braking systems.  Chevrolet/GMC truck brochures
specifically state that a hydraulic controller that uses less than that spec
is compatible and acceptable.  Ford does not mention it but the K-H
controller worked perfectly on my '94 Ford with ABS brakes.  A Kelsey-Hayes
(now Hayes-Lemmerz) company spokesman told the parts manager from whom I
purchased the controller, while I was standing there, that although the
company takes no official position, they had received feedback indicating
that the controller worked fine on a 2000 Ford.  A month or two ago, while
considering my purchase, I contacted Dodge's consumer hotline.  After gently
pushing my way through the first phone answerer and persuading the young man
to allow me to speak with a technically oriented person, I spoke with
someone who was familiar with my question.  He first gave me the standard
corporate line "we don't recommend...." but when I pressed, he acknowledged
that the K-H controller will work with the Dodge system, they just refuse to
take a position on it.  I am not absolutely certain that it will work with
the electronic proportioning system but the performance of the
hydraulic-electric controller is worth taking the risk to find out.

Why would a five speed transmission be preferable to a six speed?  The ratio
of the first or "granny" gear in each transmission is identical as is the
ratio of the top or overdrive gear.  The only difference between the two,
besides torque handling capacity, is in closer, more even spacing of the
three or four intermediate gears.  The six speed close ratio allows me to
rev the engine to only 2300 - 2400 rpm when towing, well short of the
governed maximum speed, then shift up to the next gear.  When the next gear
is engaged, the engine begins pulling at 1600 rpm which is where peak torque
begins.  The six speed allows the engine to remain continuously in the
torque band as the truck works from a standing start to highway speed.  The
24 valve HO engine develops peak torque of 505 foot pounds from 1600 to 2700
rpm.  It tows like a dream.  Dodge only makes the HO engine available with
the New Venture six speed tranny.  Five speeds and automatics are limited to
the lower hp and torque rated engine.  Medium duty trucks use a similar six
or even seven speed transmission.

I would have never thought of using two hydraulic-electric controllers to
balance the system.  It is an interesting, but as you said, expensive idea.

I haven't had any luck inquiring at local RV stores or commercial truck
parts retailers for a Tee fitting.  When customers quit buying
hydraulic-electric controllers because the RV shops discouraged them, the
market for Tee fittings dried up.

Harvey