[VAC] Re: Vulkem

I've searched the Tremco web site and downloaded the data sheets and the
MSDS for both 116 and 616. Finding data on 616 wasn't easy, I had to do
a search on 616. It didn't turn up in the normal classification lists of
caulking products.

Based on the MSDS, 616 has one different ingredient. Next to the ground
limestone (chalk) it has glass oxide as an inert filler. Otherwise both
use the same list of ingredients. 116 uses twice as much of an aromatic
polyisocyanate resin, listed as a trade secret as 616, which probably
makes it "juicier" when applied. E.g. more liable to run but also easier
to work. The proportions are different between the two products, but
with everything common, I'm plenty ready to believe either will do quite
well for sealing our Airstreams.

One major consideration, it may only take one or two of the small 10.2
(1/2 gallon) ounce tubes of 116 to do a trailer (half of one did the top
seams on my Caravel) which are readily available in many home centers,
while the 616 comes in the same 10.2 ounce plus 5 and 55 gallon drums in
three colors, aluminum, gray, and white and then probably only in case
lots, once finds a distributor who will deal in it. 116 comes in
Aluminum, black, dark bronze, bronze, buff, gray, ivory, limestone,
redwood tan and white in 1/12 gallon, 20 oz, 2 and 5 gallon pails and 55
gallon drums. 116 meets a gaggle of US and Canadian federal standards,
616 doesn't claim to meet any.

With 116 on the shelf or counter display at many Menard's, Home Depot,
and Lowe's I've already committed to using it by both buying and using
it. 616 is not in my plans. I don't need a case yet.

Gerald J.