[VAC] Re: Towing with a U-haul

Jerry,

I agree with all of the other posts in reply to your question.  I also
looked into it some years ago for a reason I can no longer remember.
U-Haul, and others, prohibit towing travel trailers and have apparently
tried their best to prevent it by welding a 2" ball to the rear bumper
assemblies of their trucks.

Gerald suggested finding a VAC member who would do it for you.  There are
many on the list and lurking who have properly set-up tow vehicles, and some
may even live near your origin or destination and be willing to transport
the trailer for you for reimbursement of expenses or a flat charge.  Some
might be retirees with idle time on their hands who might want to do it for
something to do or might have a friend or offspring living nearby who could
tie in a visit with moving your trailer.

One of our list members, Rick Davis, is a long-time Airstreamer, an officer
in the VAC, and a good guy.  He is an independent contractor who transports
new trailers from manufacturer to dealer all over the USA for a company in
Elkhart who dispatches the loads.  Rick once told me that he would transport
a trailer for, I think, $0.75/mile if you contact him direct.   You can
contact Rick at k8doc@twlakes.net when he is home.  He has not been up on
the list for a couple of months, apparently he has been hauling pretty
heavy.  I sent him an e-mail several months ago and he answered it when he
was home.  Rick is experienced, insured, etc. and knows Airstreams so you
can be absolutely confident that your A/S is in good hands.

Harvey