[VAC] Re: wheel bearings

Dave,

There may be good reasons why a skilled mechanic will not approve of my
method but I place the hub on a newspaper or piece of cardboard (castle nut
side up, brake drum side down) and insert a wood dowel or short piece of old
broom handle placed against one side of the inner bearing and tap with a
hammer.  The seal and bearing always drops out easily.  Using wood makes
damage to the bearing or race less likely.  I suppose a wood chip or
splinter could remain in the bearing but the next step always includes
dropping the bearings in kerosene or solvent for a thorough cleaning anyway.
It works for me!

I used NAPA Gas Deluxe shocks, part number 94005, complete with new rubber
bushings, at approximately $18/per to replace the original Delco shocks on
my '66 Safari.  The shocks are actually intended as replacements for the
front shocks of late '60s - 70s Chevy 1/2 ton pickups.  My Safari is still
resting in my shop, not in use yet but I have towed it around the block a
couple of times and it feels fine.  Others have mentioned they also used
similar Chevy shocks on other A/Ss.

Harvey