[VAC] Re: wheel bearings

Dave,
 If you pull the seal, the inner bearing will fall out. Some seals come
out harder than others; I normally use a BIG screwdriver or small pry
bar. I don't like to use a punch on the bearing because you can damage
it. Do one wheel at a time and keep the bearings with their respective
wheels, as they're worn in to the outer races. If you need to replace a
bearing, it's best to replace the outer race also; those can be driven
out with a punch from the opposite side.

NOTE! When using a punch on a bearing, be sure to wear safety glasses,
and it's best to not use a hardened punch. Either the punch or the
bearing can chip and you don't know where the pieces will fly. I once
had a piece of punch embedded in my arm and had to have a doctor cut it
out. That was from using a hard punch on a bearing. I usually use a
piece of rod as my punch for driving bearings.

My '68 G.T. needed shocks and I got them at the local NAPA store. Just
took an old one with me and had them match it up.

                                        <<Jim>>