[VAC] Re: Exhaust brakes -/ Jake Brakes

Title: Re: [VAC] Re: Exhaust brakes -/ Jake Brakes
Check out this URL:

  http://www.jakebrake.com/products/engine/theory.htm

The Jake Brake isn’t an exhaust brake, it’s an engine brake.  The exhaust system remains open.  The Jake Brake introduces a high volume of air into the cylinders to create back pressure, and I would guess that the loud rapping noise is produced by the sudden release of that air each time the exhaust valves open.

Jacobs does make an exhaust brake, which is called  the Extarder:

   http://www.jakebrake.com/products/exhaust/theory.htm

I would guess that true exhaust brakes are a lot quieter than Jake Brakes (?).

Don