[VAC] Re: Re Packing Wheel Bearings

Oliver,
 If you're not going to bother cleaning the bearing, don't bother at
all.

Yes, you need to clean the bearing and the wheel hub, and it must be
CLEAN. If you're not willing to eat off it, it isn't clean enough;
anti-friction bearings are quickly destroyed by only minute amounts of
dirt.

I normally replace the seals when I repack bearings, as I normally
destroy them during removal. IF they come out fairly easily and aren't
damaged, you can reuse them once, but I'd not do it again. Your local
NAPA store should have the seals in stock, just take an old one along.
Buy an extra seal and set of bearings (inner and outer) to keep in your
trailer "just in case". Be sure to smear a bit of grease on the lip of
the seal and the spindle where the seal rides before replacing the
wheel.

Like a blown tire, bad bearings have very serious consequences if/when
they fail. A wheel can leave the trailer, the axle stub can be
destroyed, and more, all due to simple neglect. It's far too important
to neglect and too important to me to be left to the $7.00/hour guy at
the local RV place. IF you have a trailer place that you can trust, go
ahead and let them do the job, but I don't know of anyone like that
around here.

There have been long discussions on wheel bearing packing and Tom
Patterson should have them archived on his site. Take a look there for a
detailed procedure.

                                           <<Jim>>