[VAC] Maiden Voyage, or baptism by thunderstorm

I finally got my 1972 Overlander home yesterday.  It had been down at a
friend's house, who helped me resurrect the ailing UniVolt, among other
sundry electrical glitches.

The Airstream towed well.  Of course, never having towed anything else, I
don't have much to compare it with, but we didn't get blown off the road by
the zillions of tractor trailers zooming by.  The speed limit was 55 on the
highway, and I tried to stay within 5 mph or so.  Unfortunately, my van got
slowed to about 45 mph on the larger hills, and, being a diesel, refused to
downshift for more speed.  I hope, once we get on an interstate, that I'll
be able to keep up with traffic to some degree.  I'd love to put a turbo
charger on my van, but the turbo charger costs more than the van is worth
(well, almost).  Perhaps, if I win the lottery, a Power Stroke is in my
future.

When we started out, the weather was cloudy.  As luck would have it, about
10 miles or so from home, the heavens opened up and it poured rain.  We get
home, and my soggy husband (now I know where the term "mad as a wet hen",
comes from) is trying to direct me into the parking area.  He lost his
patience and tried to back the A/S into the spot (he failed miserably - evil
grin).  I got back behind the wheel and got the trailer positioned on the
second try - YIPPEE.  I'll admit, the parking consisted of a basic parallel
maneuver, nothing particularly fancy, so I'm not patting myself on the back
too hard.

Mary