[VAC] PEX Question

Hi VACers,
I have a question.  I have replaced my water heater in my 1971 Tradewind 25
foot.  The problem is that the connection to the outside water (flare 5/8th
connection) was not flared enough from the factory.  The copper is pretty
large and would be difficult to bend and flare and bring back to make the
connection.  I may be able to do it though.   Now the question.

Should I make a new hole in the side of the Airstream (shutter) for the hose
connection (by the way, there is a hole where the accident happened and I am
going to patch it.  I could use that for the connection area), connect the
PEX and then connect the PEX to a male 5/8th inch flare?  The old copper
connection enters the trailer from the bottom of the unit and then runs
outside to connect the hose very close to the black/grey water drain.  I
have never liked that.  I can try to duplicate that with PEX, but again, I
am not sure if the connections are available (to the female hose connector
on the outside for example).

Can I cut the copper pipe and find a compression connection to PEX that will
work?   Problems!

Any ideas would be appreciated.  I would love to finish this job in 2001.

Jerry
2982