[VAC] Re: PEX Question

Hi Jerry,

I'm in the process of installing all PEX tubing in my '69 Safari.  I've got
most of it done except plumbing in the pump/etc. up front.  I left the
outside 1/2 inch soft copper pipe to the pressure regulator valve and the
relief valve.  The pressure regulator is so heavy that I would have needed
many special braces to keep it in position.  For this reason, I recommend
leaving the copper pipe form the inside regulator to the outside hose
connection.  This line should drain easily to winterize the unit and
shouldn't be a freeze concern.

I have difficulty finding PEX sizes other than 1/2 and 3/4 inch.  I did find
that the 3/8 pipe to 1/2 inch PEX would slip over the 3/8 inch tube (typical
for faucets).  I cut off the 3/8 inch pipe and inserted the 3/8 inch tube
inside the fitting.  This only works with the copper PEX and not with the
brass PEX fittings.  There is a simple tool for $50 bucks that handles
several sizes of PEX fittings, but I wouldn't trust the fittings across the
street!

I opted to buy the $100 tool.  Unfortunately, I chose to install 1/2 inch
PEX.  I now think that 3/4 inch  PEX is appropriate.  I used a 1/2 inch pipe
to 1/2 inch PEX union to join my water heater so it could be serviced in the
future.  I'll carry the tool along with unions, extra sections of PEX
tubing, etc just in case I need an emergency repair.  BTW, PEX will swell to
several times it's diameter in a freeze without bursting! :)

The 1/2 sweat pipe to 1/2 PEX, is a standard.  I chose to do the sweating
outside the trailer and the PEX inside.  Unfortunately, the leaded solder
from the '60s didn't seem to accept  non leaded solders.  I'm leaving this
assembly as removable  until I verify that it works properly.

I used 1/2 pipe to 1/2 PEX, then 1/2 pipe to 3/8 tube compression to plumb
the galley sink.  Not very neat, but very efficient!

For the bathroom, where the supply is 3/8 inch pipe to 3/8 inch tube ( only
in a Betrease A/S ),   I opted to leave the existing copper plumbing.  I'll
cover the tub supply with foam to help protect it against freezing.

All this might not make much sense, but trial and error seems to be the norm
in trying to match 30 year old plumbing to current code/sizing.

I can send   you  pictures off-list if you are interested.

                                     '69 Safari, Joy