[VAC] Re: tankless water heaters - more

Robert (and others),
 What is the REAL-WORLD advantage to tankless water heater? The problems
you cite in an RV situation look like very real disadvantages to me.

I personally can't much see the supposed advantage in a home
installation, either. The big claim to fame is the lack of heat loss
from the normal water heater tank, but I've shut off the power to my
electric heater in the shop and found the water just about as hot 24
hours later. It's still warm 48 hours after the power's been off, and
this is a heater that's over 30 years old. Presumably, the new heaters
have better insulation and even less heat loss. If you used hot water
only very intermittently, say every other day, I could see a slight
advantage to a tankless outfit, but not the way most families live.

Sorry to be a heretic, but in this case, I think the Emperor has no
clothes.

                                    <<Jim>>