[VAC] Re: Genuine Ralph Lauren designed Airstreams

Bill

Yes I'm in Durango, however the trailers were done in Ridgeway, Colorado.
They were gutted. The polish jobs (when I was there) was being done by hand
with dupont rubbing compound.  I told them about Rolex, don't know if they
ever used it.  When I was there only the rough cabinets were in so I don't
know what they did from there.  Also don't know how they ended up with
refers, heat etc.  I doubt they put new axles on them.  The day I was
there, they were working on three of them.  They had five or six trailers
there and I guess they came from around the country.  Anyway the three I
looked at it did look like they were doing some nice cabinet work in them.
They striped the interiors, but from what I could tell they did not do much
else as far as mechanicals.

Its kinda funny how I came across them.  I saw an ad for a 1956 and called
about it.  Showed up to this old school building full of old Airstreams.  I
was really blown away.  Anyway the 56 turned out to be junk.  The guy in
charge was reluctant to tell me what they were doing    but I guess he
understood my amazement at all these old Airstreams being worked on what
seemed to be a rapid pace.  He was really a nice guy - My understanding the
they had a tight deadline because Ralph himself was coming to town a was
planning a photo shoot.

Since then I've passed the building several times and there is only one
there and the Airstream restoration shop has gone back to an empty old
school building.

Soooo now I'm amazed these things have shown up at $150,000 - - I had often
wondered what had become of them.  Its a day I won't forget.

Ken Johansen