[VAC] Re: Towing With A Short Wheel Base Tow Vehicle

Dick,
 I'll continue to nit your nit. <<grin>> Torque is a twisting force,
from http://www.dictionary.com:

torque1 (tôrk)
 n.

         1.The moment of a force; the measure of a force's tendency to
produce torsion and rotation about an            axis, equal to the
vector product of the radius vector from the axis of rotation to the
point of              application of the force.
         2.A turning or twisting force.

If you put a large wrench and bar on the axle, you could easily apply
several hundred ft. lbs. of torque, but you aren't gonna go anyplace in
any hurry.

HP involves torque AND speed, they're directly proportional: HP =
TN/5252, where T = torque and N = speed in RPM. Horsepower is WORK,
defined as force exerted over a distance in a certain period of time.
IE: I can push like hell on the wall, getting all tired and sweaty, but
if I don't move the wall, I've done no work and developed no horsepower.

Of course, all of that is beside the point for this discussion: There
truly IS something to this concept of "a high-torque Diesel" vs. a gas
engine that may well have higher HP.

I'm satisfied enough with my Dodge, even with the old 12-valve, 160 HP
engine, that I'm not going to apply any of the hop-ups that are
available. (A "cam plate" in the pump will bump the HP to 230+ and
torque to about 600 ft. lbs., all for about $300.00) In fact, I'm kinda
locking myself into this because I'm going to overhaul the transmission
and keep it pretty much stock, no low-stall-speed converter, etc.

                                       <<Jim>>