[VAC] Re: Towing With A Short Wheel Base Tow Vehicle

> You're not going to have to worry about your setup (now that I can see
> it, I feel comfortable saying it).

Thanks!  I reached that conclusion, too.  Actually, I'm grateful to
Harvey for raising the issue, since it's made me do a bunch of research
into the subject, and I think I'm doing OK.

> I'm a firm believer in a ratio theory over absolute lengths, as in the
> ratio of trailer length (actually trailer axle to towball)  to tow
> vehicle wheelbase length (I suppose I should include a variable for
> rear axle overhang for the tow vehicle as well). I believe this(these)
> ratio(s) is/are more important than the individual vehicle lengths.

I've been wondering about that.  I just measured the hitch to axle on
the Globetrotter, and it's 13', which is 156 inches.  My puller's wheel
base is 110 inches.  That's a trailer "front":wheelbase ratio of 1.42.
If I was using a standard cap 3/4 ton pickup, it would be 1.3, which is
a difference of 8.45%, which is measurable, but not that huge.

> I have a 3/4 Ton (standard Wheel base) Chevy Van that I pull my 31'
> Excella with, and using the Ratio theory, I believe my tow vehicle
> would be very close to the bottom limit of acceptable wheelbase.
>
> Now I haven't figured out yet what the optimum ratio is, but I'm sure
> someone will chime in on the subject.

I'd like to see some discussion of this.

> Nice Vehicle you have there (I always thought Land Rovers were the way
> to go), too expensive for my tastes.

Don't be fooled by the asking prices.  Lots of people think I paid a lot
more for my truck than I actually did, because a few people ask
outrageous sums for them.

> Now since you only like to work on vehicles with bonnets, does this
> preclude swapping motors and transmissions from those other nasty
> vehicles into a bonnet wearing version?   :-)

Well, the California Air Resources Board has a thing or two or fifty to
say about that.  It's very expensive to swap an engine in CA, because
the vehicle has to be badged as being smogged as the source of the
engine.

I can, however, put an engine that's stroked to 5.0l under the heads and
(more importantly for the visual inspection during smog check) plenum
that says "3.9" :-).  The tranny is actually pretty good.  It's noisy,
but it's bulletproof.  It turns out that off-roading in low range puts a
lot of stress on the vehicle, and it's built to withstand it.  For
example, it comes with 4.11 diffs, and you wouldn't believe the size of
the CV joints up front.