[VAC] Re: In search of advice from the Airstream Gurus

Hi Jeff,

I'm kinda new, too but I've been shopping
feverishly for about a month and I've seen a wide
range of A/S conditions and prices.  $7,000
sounds outrageous for what you described... maybe
because it's a dealer selling it??

I just went on an interstate shopping spree and
here's a little sampling of what I saw... a '51
Flying Cloud with all original appliances and an
amazingly well preserved original condition (it
wasn't hooked up but was claimed to be in
entirely working condition)... asking price
$7,500, although the seller was offering $6,500
before I even thought about negotiating.
Probably could have gotten it for around $5,500.
This was a VERY nice restorable trailer with
everything included.

A '66 27' Overlander in near mint condition for
asking price of $7k. Nicest seller ever and this
trailer was ready to hit the road.

For $7k you should probably expect to do exterior
polishing, but I would expect the interior to be
in darn good condition unless it's an extremely
rare year or model.

I bought a 28 foot '59 Ambassador which I am
about to outline in a separate posting, but what
I would considet valuable are: rare or hard to
find original applicances, fixtures, bathroom
components, easily restorable woodwork, specialty
parts that may have been custom ordered or only
found in a few trailers. For instance, my '59 has
a gas light fixture in the galley which I think
is pretty rare, along with a chrome water filter
and a rare front dinette with folding table (I'm
told the '59 Ambassador was mostly made to custom
order).

Jill