[VAC] Re: Electrical System...

>  Sounds like you're doing things the way I like to.

Well, I must confess, I have been looking at your web page.

> Our Avion has the typical RV "control & monitoring" panel with the tank
> level indicators and pump switch. I added my own control panel for the
> solar stuff, including the eMeter, but it really isn't practical to
> combine the functions, so I have 2 control panels now.

In '92 our Globetrotter got a new freshwater tank, and the then owner
put a level sender in it.  He hooked up a klugy guage in the back.  I
think I'll add a nicer gauge to my monitoring/control panel before I'm
done.  Our friend/architect who helped us remodel our house is working
with us on the trailer restoration as well (his '63 bambi is pretty
nice!), and I've asked him to help me with a good layout for this part,
so I think the results will be good.

> It would have been easy to make my '68 A/S like you're doing, as all
> 12VDC wiring was in the control panel over the 'fridge. Not only was it
> centralized, but the front hinged open so you could access the wiring
> very easily.

The monitor/control panel will go under the light fixtures on the
cabibnet in this picture:
http://www.thelen.org/airstream/ld-globetrotter-006.jpg because there is
very easy access from there to the wiring in the rear compartment.

I got the electrical system wired up today.  The auto transfer
controller for 110VAC, inverter, and charger all work, but are "dry
fitted" outside the trailer.  I cut some plywood to attach to the old
battery mount to make a platform for the inverter, charger, and main
battery switch.

Some friends came over to heckle me while I worked, and we eventually
drifted over to the Land Rover, as I never got the alternator to
self-excite after installing the battery isolator in it for charging the
Globetrotter's batteries--I had to gun the motor a bit for it to kick
in.  We figured out we needed to get switched power to the excite post
on the isolator (the instrutions that came with the isolator were very
unclear), and while searching for a good source in the wiring diagram in
the shop manual, we saw mention of a battery isolator in the circuit.
There was another section which showed the physical layout of the
harnesses, and had a box marked "aux. battery isolation relay".  It
turns out this box was right next to where we had installed the diode
isolator I bought!  So the alternator now self-excites, and has a
factory-installed, relay-based isolator for the trailer battery!  I plan
on moving the other isolator I bought back to the trailer so the two
Optimas are isolated from each other while charging from the puller.

Tomorrow, I have to do the rest of the carpentry to get all this stuff
installed.  Leslie got new foam made for the sofa beds today, and she
continues to work with Thetford on finding a suitable toilette (thanks
Harvey!).  I can't do the final fitting of the electrics until the
toilette is in, since I don't know how big it is.