[VAC] Re: Modifications on a 1962 Globetrotter

Jeff, believe it or not the window glass in a '62 Globetrotter is ordinary glass. You can go to your local glass shop, or perhaps a hardware store and will cost you just a few bucks. Some people are afraid of the glass, but my experience tells me otherwise. In 40 years of usage, my trailer has broken only 1 window. Yes it was a bit of mess to clean up, but nothing a good vaccume cleaner could not handle. If the window frame no longer has the retainer stripping to hold the glass in you will need to purchase some. I am told that it is available through Hehr Corp., the maker of the windows. I do not know what the part number is but I am sure someone else on the list knows.

Water heaters generally run off of either propane or propane and electric (120V). I do not know of any water heater that uses 12V. Prices at Camping World range from $200 to $400, plus installation.

I get the impression that you want to dry camp (no hookups). If the water heater is original, then you may have a "base" version of the Globetrotter. You may wish to check and be sure that the trailer has a black water tank as I do not know when they became standard equipment. They were not just a couple of years earlier. Unless a wash (grey) water tank has been added over the years it will not have one.

As for price---that's a tough one. Depending on the area of the country and the condition of the trailer I would say anywhere from 2 to 7 thousand. You may want to check the classified adds at www.airstream.net to give you more ideas on a fair price.

Scott Scheuermann
1960 Overlander