[VAC] Re: Brake Control _ Newbie Question

Greg,

Good questions and I'm glad you asked.  When you have digested the answer(s)
you will be also.

You absolutely MUST have a brake controller.  Your 25' trailer probably is a
tandem axle trailer with four electric brakes, two per axle.  Electric
brakes draw about 3 amps each when the brakes are applied or a total of
approximately 12 amps.

If you try to simply tap into your stop light circuits the moment you touch
the brakes OR THE TURN SIGNAL, you will blow the fuse or breaker and you
will have no brakes and no stop or turn lights on the tow vehicle or
trailer.

Secondly, it would be extremely unsafe and potentially damaging to your
property and other's property if you attempt to tow without trailer brakes
to say nothing of illegal.

Not only does your trailer require trailer brakes, which is a separate
circuit, but you also need a charge line, running lights, stop lights, turn
signals, and a ground wire.  If either of your vehicles are not factory or
otherwise wired for towing trailers with a seven pin connector, I urge you
to take it to an RV service center and have a knowledgeable trailer mechanic
wire your tow vehicle(s).

You will need a Bargman or other brand seven pin connector, several fuses or
relays to provide tow vehicle power to lighting circuits, charge line, and
trailer brakes.  You will also have to have a trailer brake controller
installed.

Sorry, this may come as bad news but all of us on the list prefer to get to
know you at an Airstream rally some time, somewhere and hear that you are
towing your Airstream safely and enjoyably.  We don't want to read your
obituary.

Hope this helps.

Harvey Barlow
WBCCI # 1171, WDCU, VAC