[VAC] Brake Control _ Newbie Question

Please excuse this dumb newbie question about the necessity of brake
controllers.

I purchased a '76 Land Yacht 25-footer yesterday from a used car dealer in
town. Seems to be in good shape.

I've read the original a/s manual on the brakes (and poked around a bit in
the archives of this list).

Here's my question: Do I need a controller? Short-term? Long-term?

Short-term, I need to transport the trailer to my home 20 miles (no
highway. no city, just country and small towns), so I can work on it.

Long-term, I need to determine whether I cam going to pull it with a '92 V8
Range Rover or an '89 (much larger) V-8 Jeep Grand Wagonneer. I'd like to
make that decision to some degree based on a bit of experience pulling the
trailer with each before mounting a brake controller on either.

Finally, can I actuate the brakes - perhaps clumsily but safely - by simply
wiring them into the brake light off/on circuit (or is this just going to
get me the no brakes or locked up option?)

Thanks for any and all advice for this rank beginner.

Greg