[VAC] Re: Flooring material in the new Bambi!

Joy, I've found the opposite to be true on my '66 Overlander, albeit it was
stored in a Nebraska quanset hut for 25 years...nice and dry. I think what other
'listers' are saying is that overall the quality of materials used in the
present a/s' is not of the same level as of yor. For example, my floors are rock
solid, no sqeeks, my frig of 35 years still works fine, as does the Univolt,
even though it's obsolete today. My walnut veneer thoughout is like furnature,
with nary a crack or delaminate. You may have had the bad luck of buying a unit
that had not had as good the attention that mine has. But if you crawl around a
new a/s, even the $80K Limiteds, you'll find that the attention to detail is not
what it was back in the '60's. Perhaps it's too nostalgic to expect that today
since the spirit of Wally Bayam does not fit well in Corporate America. If it
were put to a vote, everyone on the list would like to see Thor build a Bambi
with a little bit of respect and caring. As I view it, another $2-3K in material
upgrades would go a long way and I'm sure that folks would be happy to pay the
extra for the quality difference.
Randy Unter
'66 Overlander
Denver