[VAC] Window type AC instead of oven?

I'm doing the final layout of my galley (gutted '62 Globe Trotter), and have
eliminated my stove/cooktop, replacing it with a 2 burner cooktop only. Will
have to eat the Thanksgiving turkey elsewhere.

So I'm thinking this large space where the oven was (above wheel well but
below counter height, streetside) might be a good spot for a small window
air conditioner unit (as well as hiding a downdraft range vent motor). It
would all be within the Airstream, but when in use, an access door would
have to be flipped open outside for air circulation and condensation drip.
Is it likely to perform well without being fully extended out of the
trailer? I was thinking maybe a light gauge stainless steel box (foam insul.
outside) within the cavity of the cabinet to contain/direct the heat and
condensate, leaving some space all around the unit  fot air circulation to
the outside.  Is it going to need more "open air" than that to work?

I'm not willing to put a unit on the top, and these window units can be
purchased in the $300 range (especially at this time of year).  Will they
handle the bumps of Airstream life? I've seen them pictured in other
trailers (front and rear windows, which I'm also not interested in doing),
and I'd rather not do the under the front window placement (will be booth =
frozen feet). I'm using the space under the gaucho for batteries and
drawers, and I don't think cold air blowing from the bathroom into the
trailer (if AC was installed at floor in back) would always be a good thing.
Over the wheel well seems like a good place re: weight placement and where
the cold air comes out.  Suggestions? Improvements? Nay-sayers?

Thanks. It really helps to have you folks to run ideas past.  Kind of like
group therapy.

Bob Harper
'62 Globe Trotter in SC