[VAC] '64 GlobeTrotter , wiring,tires etc

The 64 will have a 2 inch ball unless the coupler has been changed.  The
change to 2 5/16 was made in 1970.

Generally, if the trailer has been changed from the round pin signalstat
connector to the flat pin "bargman" connector that is industry standard
since the 80's the odds are good it will be wired correctly since most tow
vehicles are bought factory these days.
Airstream did not use the standard factory color codes in years past.
The chart below may or may not be applicable:  It was provided by Charlie
Burke a while back and is very useful.
Airstream's from 1966 through 1981 were not wired to the industry
standard. They knew better, right? Here's a conversion table to
help sort it out.

Airstream                Function                            Industry

Red                        Left turn/stop                    Red
Green                     Tailight/clearance              Green
Brown                    Right turn/stop                   Brown
Blue                        Charge line                        Black
White                     Ground                              White
Black                      Backup lights                    Yellow
Yellow                    Brakes                               Blue

(courtesy of Charlie Burke)

 handy tool when trouble shooting wiring is a test light.   A voltmeter can
be misleasding as it can show voltage present when the circuit has too much
resistance to allow for any current.

Since I deliver trailers for a living as well as an occasional vintage
airstream I carry a  cord with a bargman connector on one end and bare ends
on the other for handling the really weird situations.  I also carry an
adapter from "Old airstream  connector to Bargman.

Regarding the tires,  The fit is very tight as Gerald mentioned.  The
standard tire on most was 700-15.  a good substitute in a radial is an ST
225 75 R 15.

When changing a tire the suspension needs to be allowed to drop down and
the trailer raised so the tire clears the ground by several inches.
It also helps to put a piece of sheet metal between the tire and the wheel
well so that it doesn't hang up on rivets or other protrusions as you push
it up in.
Of course if all else fails the tire can be deflated and then refilled. I
carry a "truck Air 12 volt compressor as well as an adapter to let me go
from the trailer plug (charge line)on the truck to a cigaret lighter plug
for accessories. Its slow but gets the job done.

Rick Davis  1602
54 safari
69 Ambassador
70 Globetrotter