[VAC] Re: Radiant flooring

You get increased solar insolation from the snow on the ground and from
reflectors on the ground when there's no snow. I think focusing would
work better outside the trailer because it can increase the solar flux
density through a window, while the window area pretty much limits the
energy direct from the sun by its area. A reflecting wall above and to
the north should improve the solar heating inside. I'm not fully
convinced that the relatively thin walls of the A/S keep out solar
insolation completely either. The unpolished A/S probably stays warmer
because the reflection isn't nearly as effective as the polished A/S.
Might be that for winters, a flat black roof would be a detectable help.
It would be more help if behind some glass or film to keep the wind from
cooling it.

There was a company around here that sold heat pump water heaters and
since the heat pump pulled the outdoor collector surface below the
ambient air temperature they figured it didn't need protection from the
wind. The last I heard of them, they were being sued for selling a scam.
E.g. the product didn't prove to work, probably because the breezes past
the bare collector plate robbed it of most of the energy. I'm sure glad
I only certified the wiring, not the performance!

I have a program for figuring gains and losses from windows and in the
winter it figures some snow reflection will cause triple or quadruple
pane north windows to be net energy gainers. But not double paned,
coated or plain.

I suppose one would cut a hole just like was already there to add more
glass. Then hope to find the cast or extruded frame and hardware and
glass and operator and latches. Better do the finding first and the
taking out operation from the bone yard should show the hole needed.
You'd need to watch out for wiring and plumbing in the wall when sawing.
Probably be best to use a circular saw and only cut the inner skin,
unrivet it if necessary and take out just the patch for the window, then
explore the needs for framing pieces and movement of wiring. Probably
not a big task at the factory. But more trouble to get it there and talk
them into doing it. I'm sure my big Milwaukee Sawzall would cut the
opening rapidly, but there might be some side effects from cutting wires
and structure and probably some bending of the skin opposite the saw.

Gerald J.