[VAC] Re: REMOVING PAINT GUN PAINTS

David,  I removed the entire interior paint in my 26 foot Overlander.  The
Zolatone had been painted over with at least one solid layer of latex.
Stripping the interior is not for the faint of heart or enthusiasm (ergo
frame-up restorations).

First, if you have any intentions toward doing some polishing inside, do
not use any scrub more abrasive than stiff nylon.  Even the finest steel
wool will scratch the skin, making your polishing work require an extra
step or two.

Having said that, if you plan to repaint, I would prep the surface only to
the degree necessary to get proper adhesion of the new paint.  Granted,
those drips and runs probably mean a little extra elbow grease with some
sandpaper, but that is far less work than gutting your trailer to get to
the panels.

I did all the stripping while the panels were still installed.  It was
messy, drippy, splattery --- and you would have to pay me 1956 Cruisettes
for me to consider ever doing it that way again.  Much better to remove
the panels and strip them at a designated table/workstation so the
stripper can do its work on a horizontal plane.  Also, you can just use a
bondo scraper and squeegee to push the paint into your catch bin/tray.

I MacGyvered a 5-point star brush attachment to scrub the Zolatone layer.
It isn't bulletproof, but it is tougher to remove than latex.  Tougher as
in flaky rather than soft like latex.  Latex on top of it will be gummy to
remove if you use a stripper (at least mine was).  The same stripper works
on the Zolatone too, but you might appreciate a soft scrubber to break up
the Zolatone so the stripper can get to it all.

I'm still updating my website and I already have pictures of my paint
removal work.  I've left out a few steps in this posting, but only because
I want to devote a full article to my website.

Any more questions?

Jay L. Griffin                                   "Journeyman"
jrnymn@davesworld.net
http://homepage.davesworld.net/~jrnymn/jrnywebarchive.htm
  /          [ ]    )   Airstream Overlander '57 26'