[VAC] Re: Radiant flooring

Dr. Johnson,

Here's the link for the in-line hot water system I was referring to:
http://zodi.com/   A particular one I noticed produces 10,000 BTUs.
I have not researched this area exhaustively either.  But I think that
tipping a trailer back and forth to drain a system would not be too fun.  I
would pressurize the water lines with air obtained from an air compressor
when I wanted to drain the system, much like winterizing a lawn sprinkler
system.  Also, before installing radiant floor heating, I would try to
combine tap water for showers and dishwashing, and hot water for heating,
all into one system.  (I realize that tap water poses several purification
and winterization issues.)  Otherwise, you're running two separate water
systems, pipes, drains, etc., and I fear that the trailer would become more
like a Star-Trek Borg invasion, than a Wally Byam creation.  As an overview,
I think a dual system like this could become difficult to install and
maintain, and would take up a fair amount of space in a limited area.  A
professional, first-class installation would be paramount in a situation
like this, to maintain the high value of these trailers.

Certainly a radiant system would be more efficient than hot-air systems,
which are notorious for inefficiency.  It would nevertheless demand a
significant amount of fuel, either propane or electricity, to run.  In
general, hot air systems are quick and dusty; radiant floors slow and
luxurious.  There is no better heat, it just takes time!

Ken Reed
'57 Bubble