[VAC] Re: aluminium floor

Okay Bill, Antony and others,
Regarding aluminum honeycomb, it's two thin sheets of aluminum separated by
an aluminum honeycomb, hexagonal celled, thin-walled aluminum.  I'm not
sure how it's assembled but I'll guess it's some type of electrical welding
process.  At any rate, it is a very stiff panel and very light weight.  I
have seen 1/2" panels in natural aluminum finish and in blue anodized
finish.  So far as using it for flooring, be aware that it will dent so
there would have to be something to absorb the depressions from walking on
it.  For flooring I would think fiberglass or carbon fiber face sheets with
a honeycomb core would be better.  We're obviously talking about something
now that's quite expensive.  I don't know if the cost justifies the benefit
here.  For aircraft and spacecraft it does but maybe not for an Airstream.
But, sealing the plywood floor with carbon or fiberglass cloth and epoxy is
very feasible.  As Bill mentioned, in my Caravanner, I reinforced the floor
below the shower and toliet with carbon fiber cloth and West System epoxy.
It worked great.

When I replaced the oak plywood walls in my shower, I used new 1/4" plywood
with an oak veneer on one side.  I bought some fiberglass cloth and used
the West System epoxy to coat the opposite side of the plywood.  The
fiberglassed side is the side I put next to the shower.  I used a white
marine deck paint over the fiberglassed side.  This works great also.

I hope this helps and I'll be glad to fill in any details.

As an aside, I made a table for my trailer using 3/4" plywood and Formica.
I wanted to see how I liked the size but it is heavy.  Since it has worked
out, I'm re-making the top out of aluminum honeycomb that has formica on
the top and bottom.  Now, the edges will be covered using mitered aluminum
angle and attached with epoxy.  Now, the top will be very lightweight and
stowable on the wall, out of the way when I don't need it.

Garnett
WDCU, 2878
60 Caravanner