[VAC] Re: Radiant flooring

Toby,
The mass of concrete os meant to even out or homogenize the heat, as in make it
seem like it's coming from everywhere rather than any one single spot, like a
forced air vent. The concrete mass would also provide for storing of heat
applied by the tubing. For instance heating a concrete slab in the basement
overnight or off peak loading and letting the mass heat the room during other
times.

> (which will hold the heat) and also that
> they are surrounded by earth (which helps direct the
> heat the right way)?

With an insulation layer below the tubing, and using the notion that heat rises,
The direction of the heat would tent to be upward.

> I would think that would be a great idea - how do you
> keep the circulating tubes from breaking with the
> "flex" of the trailer since the floor is so integral
> to the structure?

The newer PEX tubing is meant to flex and is far superior to the older rubber
tubing that first made up these types of systems.

Since the heating is relatively infrequent in a trailer, I think that the mass
option of storing heat can be bypassed, especially since this would introduce a
heck of a lot of weight.

I've seen version of this heating system that are mounted to the wood sub floor
with Hardwood over it, and even carpeting. There is also the option of using
liquid Gypsum to provide a thermal mass as thin as 1/2", but it might not hold
up to flexing of the trailer over the long haul.  These types of systems could
even be added to existing A/S with the same technologies used in residential
installations.

> I'm a fan of exploring this type of thing -

bobb