[VAC] Re: New v. Vintage

I must say, in the 13 years I've owned my 1971 Globe Trotter 21, it has cost
me expenses for tires (same as any other trailer would), a broken (worn out)
TV antenna , and a new valve for the black water tank. Any other expenses
were cause by my neglect (frozen pipe) or accident (broken window) . It was
caught in a flood which goofed up the power converter briefly ...I fixed it
with no expense. I've had to paint the frame a couple of times, and repair
the right rear tail light (bad ground caused by rust.). The brakes burned
out because one of my children pulled the break-away switch. It's a well
built trailer that holds up well. The furnace is wearing out (combustion
chamber rust) , but all the other appliances are working fine. One of the
tambour doors broke, but it's fixed with glued on canvas (cheap to repair).
This trailer has cost me very little and it's value on the market is about
the same as what I paid for it. Buy a well maintained old Airstream and it
won't cost any more than any other trailer would ....and probably less.

My sister bought a brand new (Brand X) trailer the same time I bought my
Airstream. The water tank split open and the refrigerator didn't work. The
roof leaked and the ceiling is now collapsing. She paid twice as much as I
did for my Airstream. Now it's probably worth less than half of what my
Airstream is. ....about $6000 less than what she paid.

The 1963 Globe Trotter 19 I bought recently had a problem with the burner in
the hot water tank, but I managed to get all the original appliances
working. This trailer suffered from years of neglect and needed tons of TLC.
Once it's all restored, I expect it will be cheap to own like the '71 is.
The old things are less complicated than new things, so are easier to fix if
something goes wrong.

I'd buy old ....but that's me.   I still drive a 1973 car for daily use,
also!

MARC WEIMER
Punxsutawney, PA
#15767