[VAC] Re: New v. Vintage

I own an almost renovated 1969 27 foot Airstream.  There is a lot to fix, but
nothing is too complex. I think of it as "this old house" on wheels.  If you buy
a unit that is structurally sound,  is no floor rot, exterior and interior
panels in good shape, all windows etc then you are in good shape.   Components
in the Airstream from that era, except for the structural parts themselves, was
either top of the line conventional home parts (such as the Moen faucets) or top
of the line specialized RV parts, such as the pumps and toilets.  Light fixtures
were custom and it is hard to find exact duplicates.  Most of the plumbing and
gas fittings can be found in any good hardware store. Pipes are mostly very easy
to get at exept for a small area in th back.

It is surprising that many features on old Airstreams are still the best way to
do things,  modern RVs use shoddier parts for economic reasons.

The biggest problem that I found is UV decay of plastic parts.

                    Good Luck

                    Ed Farrell