[VAC] Git Rot

Jim, I removed my name from the subject line because I am not yet,
rotten.    On Tom Pattersons site in the VAC section , under floors,
there is a long thread on rotten floors, how they get that way, how it
leads to frame disentigration and rust, and how to repair frames and
floors.   Some of that info has been written up in the VAC's Vintage
Advantage newsletters.
RJ Dial, the VAC webmaster, along with Fred Coldwell, the VAC Archives
Historian, are currently working on a members section of our homepage,
to post all of the old VAC newletters,(packed with priceless
information) and all the old brochures and owners manuals for many of
the Airstream models, back to the 30's.
Your best bet , if you want to be "in the know", is to join the VAC.
For a mere $10  per year you will receive the newsletter, and be able to
access the members area when all that info is posted.

Meanwhile, you have 3 choices for fixing that soft floor.  1.  Git Rot,
or other marine type poly resin will stiffin and seal that old wood. 2.
Overlay the old wood with a thin sheet of plywood.  3. Cut out, and
replace the rotten wood with new plywood.  You can remove the belly wrap
without much consequence, and replace with pop rivets. The inside skin
can also easily be removed by drilling out the pop rivets.   If you are
removing the whole floor, then it gets a little more complicated what
with taking out the cabinets, tub, toilet, etc..  The belly wrap is very
soft, and very thin, and can be easily removed and replaced.  The outer
skin, is another storey.  Some small dents can be removed, but not if
they are creased.   When aluminum is dented, it immediately "work
hardens" at the spot of the deformation.    It has a tendency to stretch
and expand, so , it does not readily return to its pre dent condition.
In those cases,  the whole section must be replaced, or patched.   I'm
sure some others here can tell you about their "dent removal"
experiences.
Good Luck,  and keep reading.

Bill Scott
Charter Member and Membership Chairman