Re: [VAC] Axle camber

I don't mean to put you on the spot Bill, but that is exactly how the
camber, caster and toe are set on the Airstream axle. The service manuals
provide a very extensive description with pictures of how to do it. It
requires a double action hydraulic ram to bend the axle. The initial
alignment check requires the coach be put up on ramps, with an alignment rig
attached from the front coupler to the rear bumper. Using measurements off
the attaching springs, toe is determined and set. As I recall the spec is
1/8". Using an old style clamp on indicator, camber and castor are checked.
Bringing the axle into alignment requires bending the axle near each wheel
slightly past the desired spec and allowing the natural spring action to
bring in into spec. Takes about 3-4 hours to do right. A little longer for
triple axles because you may have to drop a tank enclosure.

Charlie