Re: [VAC] Reese friction sway control bar

Well folks, I've had a revelation...

After I attached the e-mail regarding information about the installation
and adjustment of EAZ-Lift sway controllers (and re-read it} I all of a
sudden realized a couple of things:

The one that I have is rather old and had been painted over.  I used it
in this condition a for a while.  Later, when I was repainting my spring
bars and hitch, I also repainted the sway controller.  Naturally, I took
it apart to paint.  If I remember correctly (not a given) I replaced the
lower bolt and washer, which were pretty rusty.  I do remember that I
kind of wondered about how much to tighten this bolt, but figured that
the one with the handle on it was the controlling one.  So I diddled
around with it until I felt it was in the ballpark and left the
adjustment to the upper one (with the handle).  This was probably a
significant mistake.

After re-reading the instructions, it finally sunk in that the bolt with
the handle is only for, as it says, "turning it off and on".  That had
not occurred to me.  And that all the "adjustment" is made by tightening
or backing off the OTHER bolt.  Whether or not this will result in any
real difference remains to be seen.

Now, I'm still not sure that even when I get the thing adjusted with the
RIGHT bolt, that the controller is the way that I want to go.  I'll just
have to try it again and decide for myself.

Did you all note that opinion is pretty much split on this issue?

GQ '67 Safari

PS:  If all of you already knew all of this... I plead insanity.