[VAC] Re: Solar Power & Unrelated Topics

Hi Scott and Diane,

In your note (at the end of this reply), you asked several questions.

1 - There are two solar articles at the Tin Can Tourist website homepage.
In one of them, there are details about several solar panel configurations.
Scroll down past the ads to the two articles. Go to:
http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Cabana/4868/

2 - As for books on solar, go to Noel Kirkby's website and read all the subtopics. He has a free
solar planner and other books for sale ($15) on solar electric. I've done business with Noel for 20
years. He's honest, truthful and fair. His instruction booklet for installing a solar system is
straight forward. Go to:
http://www.rvsolarelectric.com

Noel's yearly solar seminars at the Escapees Rallies are highly recommended. The Fall Escapade for
the Escapees Club is Sep 10-15 in Goshen, Indiana. Of all the rallies on the continent, this is by
far the most informative one of all. It's a high intensity, University level, learning experience
for the serious RVer. You will need to join the club and then register for the rally. The dues are a
wash if you rent a campsite for a week at any Escapees Park. Go to:
http://www.escapees.com

3 - How much fresh water should two people carry for a week at a time?
Simple answer. It depends on how frugal you are.

We've been traveling 8-10 months every year for the last 11 years and use primitive sites freely and
frequently. As full time explorers with an RV, we intentionally move once a week. Our 30 gallon
fresh water tank is sufficient for one week. We top off or refill each time we move to a different
location. We always use our own white water hose when refilling our own water storage tank - ALWAYS.

4 - You asked about tankage for gray and black water.
Simple answer. It depends on how resourceful you are.

At primitive sites, gray water on the ground is generally not an issue. We carry 50 feet of green
hose that is strictly for dish water disposal. In the desert, we almost always find an animal's hole
and run our wash water into it. We never dispose of waste water where anyone might walk nor during
day light hours. For us, a little discretion avoids needless misinterpretations.

When we're on macadam during a rally, we use a 5 gallon blue tank which I empty daily. When full, it
weighs 40 pounds. I dump wash water into any public rest room toilet. Ten minutes a day to do that
is incidental and no big deal. I carry a roll of towel paper in case I spill a few drops. :-)

Black water disposal is another story. It is a real limitation. The two of us fill our 15 gallon
black water tank in one week. That can be extended a few days by me using public rest rooms. Ten
days is our maximum, but we seldom do that. We always use a sanitary dump station for black water,
even if we have to drive a considerable distance to reach it.

5 - You asked about battery brands. Truthfully, I've been more than satisfied with the longevity of
our batteries and don't have any incentive to differentiate among brand names.

Our Airstream batteries last on the average 5-7 years. Having solar panels on all our Airstreams is
a definite plus. Our tow vehicle batteries last about the same number of years. They too have solar
panels for trickle charging while they are in the garage and not being driven.

We use size 27 deep cycle marine batteries and/or trolling batteries. If you want to hear from
someone with a strong opinion about battery brand names and types, you'll have to keep asking. In
our experience, all of them have performed about the same.

6 - Suggestion - new topic:

While your Globetrotter is gutted, why don't you polish it and get the messiest job done and over
with? Doing it first will enhance your entire mind-set as you rebuild the interior. You'll smile
each day when you see your own reflection. Plus, after it's polished will be the ideal time to
reseal all the seams and verify no leaks before you start working inside.

Terry