[VAC] Research on propane power air conditioners.

http://www.ornl.gov/ORNLReview/rev28_2/text/gas.htm is a detailed
discussion of modern absorption technology.

http://www.gasindustries.com/articles/prod300.htm says:
> Gas absorption units
>
> The Robur Corporation plans a major comeback for the Servel brand name
> with the Servel GAX Chiller, a gas absorption air conditioner > available in 3-
> and 5-t. units that has the support of the U.S. Department of Energy. > Under an initiative supported by the Clinton administration, the DOE
> is sponsoring a demonstration project using 190 Servel units at the
> Village Green subdivision in Los Angeles, a 186-unit housing project
> founded on the latest environmentally sound technologies. This is a
> collaborative effort among Robur, DOE, and Southern California Gas.
>
> The DOE is also sponsoring the company’s effort to develop and
> industrialize a gas absorption heat pump for air conditioning that
> will create real competition for electric equipment. "This technology,
> using natural gas and burning it more efficiently, will greatly reduce
> CO2 emissions and help in reducing global warming," says DOE program
> manager Ron Fiskum. "This technology will revolutionize the way we > heat and cool our homes."

http://www.greenpeace.org/gopher/campaigns/air/1993/ozhold3.txt reports
on a large number of manufacturers and developers of propane powered air
conditioners from small residential to large industrial, with many
variations in refrigerants.

http://www.tkofohio.com/units.htm makes self contained engine powered
refrigeration units for trucks. Some are claimed to be very low noise.
Some are powered by diesel engines. It may be that their criteria for
noise is not what one find acceptable in a campground.

One of these reports said Japan is doing a great deal of development in
this area for domestic use as well as large scale industrial use.

Gerald J.