Re: [VAC] Looking to purchase 1968 - $5k high or low?

May I jump in,
I own a 1969 that had been stored for 15 years.  It cost $2500,  is structurally
sound, and supposedly all the systems worked.
The electrical converter worked for about 5 hours ($200),
the tires needed replacement ($250)  (the tragedy was that they had only a few
miles on them, they were dry rotted from age!),
the water system had 8 leaks ($100 and counting) ,
it needed an awning ($450),
a new mattress ($240 for a futon and cover),
new skylight  ($125),
battery ($65),
hatch handles ($30)
door lock cylinder (still looking),
various moldings $30,
faucet O rings (free from a relative),
bearings repacked  $60,
various hoses ($40),
Original Aluminium propane tanks recertified and revalved (a bargain at $65).

The refrigerator mostly works but is hanging on by a thread (about $1200)

I consider this a bargain, although my wife has other opinions.  The interior is
intact, real walnut panelling, and in very good shape. The plastic parts that were
exposed to UV are brittle and ruined.

In the end, exclusive of polishing I will have about $5500 in a fully functional,
basically stock 1969 trailer.  I anticipate about $200 per year maintenance.

But this is me not you.  I am fearless about plumbing, but have no way to do body
work.  If you have a barn and experience in body work, your calculations might be
different.  Look at a lot of trailers, not just airstreams.  Learn about prices in
your area  around here, people ask outrageous prices for seriously damaged
trailers. A dealer here wanted $6500 for a 12 year old trailer with a rotten
floor.  Another wanted $4500 for a trailer with the side ripped open.   My trailer
was cheap because it was on a farm four miles down a dirt road, in a God's
country, about 25 miles outside of town.  Few buyers wanted to make the trip.

So we took it out on its first trip, and out next door neighbor has a neat little
early 1960's 2 wheel conventional trailer.   I get talking to the owner, and we
toured each others units.  My neighbors unit is perfect, every thing works, (they
did replace the refrigerator).  All the woodwork was refinished by the previous
owner, who also replace the stove and everything else that did not work.  It was
owned by an elderly man as a hunting camp,  it was his pride and joy, and he kept
it in showroom condition. When he got too old to use it,  he fixed everything that
was broken and sold it for ----$500.

So keep looking until you find what you need.

                Ed