Re: [VAC] Looking to purchase 1968 - $5k high or low?

You will succeed in your acquisition and restoration because of the
realization that it will cost about $5000 -after- you purchase the
trailer.  That is a very realistic estimate for a full restoration.

As for the 1968 26' (Overlander, I bet), $5000 is the high end for the
"mid-vintage"  "mid-size" trailers.  If the floor is 100% sound, all
interior components in good original condition, all systems & appliances
working (demonstrated), and no exterior dents or damage, and all the
parts are there - then half your battles are fought and the trailer
would be worth it.  You don't care about tires, interior softgoods or
the finish, since you would replace those anyway.  If an inspection
reveals less than than the above mentioned, you just start dinging off
estimated costs from the asking price - arriving at the realistic fair price.

Trailers are no different than houses - it is cheaper to buy a new house
than it is to repair an old one.  In Airstream terms, the price
difference between an Airstream in great condition and one in poor
condition does not reflect the cost of making the poor condition trailer
like that of the good condition one.

The poor condition coaches are like a blank canvas though, and offer
opportunity to create a custom masterpiece - but the acquisition price
needs to reflect the condition - but they rarely do.  This is why it
usually costs more to rebuild a junker than it does to buy a ready to
roll cream-puff.

Don't feel too discouraged, we looked at 12 Airstreams before finding
the right combination of price and condition on our last trailer - and
learned a lot along the way.  Don't feel compelled to buy the first one.
 Each time will get easier and you will know what to look at and ask about.

Best of luck,
RJ
'65 Caravel (heading to Crater Lake, Oregon next week)