Re: [VAC] Looking to purchase 1968 - $5k high or low?

Greetings VAC,

As a quick intro, I've been looking at small Airstreams for a year now
and finally bought a 1964 Globetrotter, mostly gutted and ready for a
rebuild. I think the advice that I got, partly from this list and also
from some old RV mechanics, was good: either find one completely and
competently restored by someone with real pride, or buy close to a
wreck (with solid frame and shell anyway) and start over. As I didn't
have many thousands all at once for the first option, a few hundred for
the second seemed like the thing to do. The more I work on it the more
I think so -- because there isn't any puzzle about how things work or
what needs fixing.

Should anyone want a larger one, I looked at the 1968 27' International
that's on eBay,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=387345839
It's not in quite as rough shape as it seems. The shell looks okay, two
or three of the access doors are damaged including the one in the rear
over the water heater, which has allowed rain to rot the floors there.
There are some small dents where someone tried to climb it but nothing too
serious. The finish is not too badly oxidized, there is some clearcote
in most places. The furniture is worn but not worn out. There are three
days left in the auction and there are still no bids. I have no connection
with it or the seller (a quick look was enough to tell me that I didn't
want a bigger one!) but the ad copy lists the starting price "or best offer"
so I figure they are ready to sell now.