RE: [VAC] Tambour Doors

I have been lurking for a while now.  I was originally on the airstream discussion list when I didn’t know there was also a vintage list.  I think I understand why there are two lists and I have now switched to the vintage discussion.

We purchased our Airstream in May and I have replaced a few of the tambour doors.  I got the material from Charlie at American Way RV in Boise ID (800) 345-6651.  It was $243 delivered to Michigan (4’X8’ sheet).  Apparently they changed the groove thickness in the mid-seventies.  The older variety is a little narrower.  When working with the older units, the backing must be removed for the doors to work properly.  There are also (2) flavors of brown – older and newer.

I am very happy with the new doors, but a few of the metal handles are missing.  I was told they are unavailable.   They are an aluminum extrusion that spans the entire door in a dingy brass finish.

Does anyone have a source for these??

Thanks in advance.

Dave & Jessi Christensen

’71 Overlander International