Re: [VAC] power and water

Hal, with your 63, 26ft Overlander.  Your fresh water supply is the
"pressurized type".   I think it is the best of both worlds. When you
attach a city supply hose, a one way valve prevents water in your tank
from going back into the city supply.  The city pressure, not only fills
your tank partly, but it also pressurizes your system. There should be a
closeable valve between your tank and the inlet.  If it is closed, the
tank will not recharge.  If it is open, the tank will fill partly and
your system will be charged.  The schrader valve on the inlet pipe just
below your fresh water cap, is for recharging the system if you are
boondocking, or your airpump is kaput.  You should have a small 12 volt
air compressor, next to your fresh water tank so you can periodically
recharge the tank.  On my 61 Bambi,  I have charged my system, and it
has retained its charge for weeks, if I don't use much water.  If I use
a lot of water, I will have to turn on the air compressor to recharge
the system.  I like this system, because it is simple, and silent.  With
an on demand system, every time you turn on the water, the pump comes on
and clicks away , until you turn the water off.  Do as Tom Walden
suggests, drain your tanks, and flush with water, baking soda, later
bleach, and more water.  When it is finally, "sweet", fill up and you
are ready.  When you get the cap off the fill inlet, check the rubber
"O" ring.  All it may need is a little Vaseline to insure it will seal.
Or, you may need a new "Schrader" valve, available at any bike store, or
tire store.  Your fresh water tank, basically acts as a pressure
accumulator tank.  You just missed a plumbing diagram by one year.
Owners manuals, with that info, did not start until 1964.  Take a close
look and I think you will find all the drain valves either in back, or
under the front couch.  You need to find them anyway, so you will know
how to "winterize', next fall.
Good Luck.

Bill Scott
61 Bambi, VAC & WBCCI #3221